@POTUS @SenateGOP: I have a question….Why?
By Brenda Ann Eckels, aMGC (c)2017
Why can’t a baby born with Downs Syndrome move with her Mom from Massachusetts to the new apartment and job in Montana only four miles from a loving Grandma so they both get a little more help and family support?
Why can’t that disabled baby and her Mom move and still keep:
- her SSI check, if she qualifies
- her WIC vouchers with at least $100 a month in food
- her food stamps at least $100 a month
- her TANF Cash at least at $36 a month
- her Medicaid at least having the same coverage, copays, formulary?
- her Home Community-Based Services at least having her existing
- 8 hours a month case manager,
- In home 2hrs of weekly physical therapy,
- In home 2hrs of weekly occupational therapy,
- In Home 3hrs weekly Early Intervention Direct Care
Why do they have to reapply in Montana once they arrive, and possibly lose benefits or sit on a waiting list?
Why can’t federally funded programs be nationwide, be transferrable, so Poor Humans have the same right to move to better places for their families as rich people do?
That Mom would still work at retail and fast food part time jobs wth no benefits. The jobs would still be minimum wage, and she’d still be driving the same beat up old car, still paying the same Net 10 $45 a month on the same smartphone that looks new but she got really cheap at a pawn shop.
She’d still follow all the welfare rules and turn in photocopies of all her financial information, her receipts, the baby’s medical bills, her ID, her proof that she and Baby are both American Citizens… just like she has done since the day she got laid off, ran out of unemployment, and found she was pregnant and alone.
She would still try to get time in between caring for baby and work and all the government and insurance paperwork to keep watching YouTube Videos on how to type, code, and create websites so someday when there were other jobs she could apply for them.
She’d still once in a while buy college textbooks on nursing and anything on Downs syndrome at the thrift shops for $1 each so she could educate herself.
Nothing would change except she’d go down in pay because Montana has a lower minimum wage than Massachusetts.
However, She would have a loving Grandma babysit for free instead of the unreliable neighbor next door who’s boyfriend was “420 friendly”.
Can’t you Senators just fix this one part of the HCRA first before you go trying to do a complete overhaul? Once you fix one thing, even something this small then go look at fixing other parts of Obamacare instead of throwing the literal cute adorable little baby with a disability out the window onto the cold hard highway! Senators, Mr. President, we are talking cute disabled babies, kids, proud American disabled spoonies and elderly here who have already suffered cut after cut for over 6 years!
- Why can’t they move without having to guess what supports they will have once they get to the new home?
- Why do they have to reapply in Montana once they arrive?
- Why do they have to risk possibly losing benefits or being parked on a waiting list?
- Why can’t federally funded programs be nationwide, be transferrable?- After all, Section 8 is like that! The tenant pays 30% of income, no matter where they live or move to!
- Why can’t Poor Humans in America have the same right to move to better places for their families like the Rich Americans can?